Standard & Certifications
When a wind turbine catches fire, the evacuation of personnel working in or outside the nacelle area needs to be immediate, and since wind farms are often located in isolated areas, many jurisdictions do not have the ability nor the equipment to respond to these situations in a timely fashion.
There are more than 250 fires and hundreds of emergency evacuations from wind turbines each year. SkySaver provides a cost-efficient and safe solution that addresses this problem:
The SkySaver Rescue Backpack looks just like a regular backpack, but contains a patented Controlled Descent Device (CDD) that utilizes a redundant centrifugal- and friction-based braking system to lower the user to the ground. It does so at a comfortable and steady rate of 6 feet (2 meters) per second.
Father and child playing with wind turbine models
Peace of Mind
SkySaver’s tested, certified, and world renowned rescue solutions gives your organization an added peace of mind, knowing that, in the event of a fire, your wind turbine personnel will be able to evacuate the nacelle area and start the descent to safety in less than a minute.
Using SkySaver, an entire rescue operation can take less than 3 minutes and eliminates the need for rescue professionals or costly onsite helicopters.
Each SkySaver product is individually tested to rigorous standards, and is constructed of lightweight and fireproof materials.
Our Rescue Backpack is the the first ever backpack to have an integrated harness as well as an internal Controlled Descent Device (CDD).
By implementing SkySaver as an organization-wide emergency evacuation solution, safety managers will be able to provide their technicians with a safe work environment even in the tallest turbine models in the market.
Its hands-free design is one of the things that makes SkySaver a uniquely foolproof solution: There is nothing that prevents the user from descending to the ground once the descent has started. This is why SkySaver requires virtually no training. It is also what makes it a reliable solution in the case of incapacitated or unconscious personnel that need to be evacuated
from the nacelle area.
Key Safety Advantages
The key safety advantages of SkySaver over other solutions in the market can be summed up very briefly:
- Intuitivity and ease-of-use
- Reliability and robustness
- Fast evacuation
- Requires no training
- The galvanized wire is fire proof and sharp edge resistant
Standards and Certifications
The innovative SkySaver technology is being continuously tested and certified to operate under extreme conditions.
Extreme temperature test: ASTM E 2484-08 according to test specifications X2.8 and with CSA Z259.2.3-99 Controlled Descent Devices section 5.2 and 5.4, as required by 14.4 of this CSA Z259.2.3-99 and in accordance with 16.4
- ASTM E 2484-08 16.9.1 Fixed CDD systems transient high temperature test: Exposure to 200ºC for the period of time equal to the longest descent time for the CDD system.
- Flame exposure test: ASTM E 2484-08 according to the specifications X2.10
- NFPA Standard: NFPA I30 Appendix B 2.1.1 and B 2.1.2
- Wet and humidity tested in accordance with requirements of sections 16.9.1, 16.9.2 and 16.9.3 using tests methods of UL 1523 section 16. Exposure temperatures and times as detailed by UL1523 sections 8.3-8.3.3
- Wet test: ASTM E 2484-08 according to test specifications X2.7=>UL 1523 Descent Control Device for marine use 9,15,6,17,18
- Wet and cold test with CSA Z259.2.3-99 Controlled Descent Devices – section 16.4 and of this specification within 5 min after completion of the cold conditioning. Temperatures are according to this standard
- Salt resistance ASTM B 117 practice for operating salt spray (fog) apparatus
- Controlled Descent Device
ANSI Z359.I Fall-arrest system components
CSA Z259.2.3-99 Controlled Descent Devices
- EC Type Certification by TUV SUD (Test Report 713051535).
- EC Type Examination Certificate No: P5 17 03 98962 001
- EN 341:2011 Class 1D (Fully by TUV up to 120 kg)
- ASTM F1772-12
- ASTM E2482-08
- ANSI 359.4
- EN 1497
- EN 795
- 7 years with possibility of re-certification